Friday, August 12, 2011

Scaredy Cat

I've been feeling really stressed all week.  I've been busy at work, have upcoming business and personal travel, and my closest friend is moving out of town to another country.  Yesterday we said goodbye, and there were tears. 

And, believe it or not, I think I'm stressed about my long run this weekend!  I had planned to do a 10-mile run this weekend, which is more than my training plan requires.  Now I think I'm definitely going to dial it back to 9 miles.  I'll see how I feel and then decide whether to add any distance. 

I'm suddenly really nervous about the Half, in a doubting myself sort of way, not a fun scared kind of way.  Can I really do this?  How awful is it going to be?  Am I going to embarass myself?

Part of it is that I'm coming to terms with how slow I am and how slowly I'm going to have to treat this race.  That's where the embarassment factor is coming from.  But I need to let go of the idea of improving my speed for this race.  I can think about improving my speed for my next 5K.  For a never-attempted before distance of 13 miles, I just need to think about maintaining good form, keeping up my 5/1 run/walk strategy, and hydrating and fueling.  That's it.  One foot in front of the other, head up, shoulders back, feet light, sips on the water bottle every half an hour.

Gah.  But the negative thoughts keep coming back.

I am dreading my 9-miler this weekend.  I'm afraid I'm going to hit a wall or not be able to do it.  Afraid I'll have to walk the last 2 miles. 

I just have to keep at it.  I know I'll feel amazing when its all done.

How do you all battle the fear and negative thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I think knowing the we all go through that is first. Next, you just have to put your mind to it...and do it no matter what, unless you're limping...but you won't be! Setting your mind to it and then doing it is one of the baby steps that will get you to build the confidence. You are in the very beginning building stages...and you are practicing being okay with that and that is part of the growth! I will help out in anyway I can...its supposed to rain Sunday not sure when...not sure when you wanted to run. Saturday before the party? I have six more to do for the week. I could tag along, meet you at the end, or just have water ready for you! You're going to do this and its one step further to building the confidence you will need for that day. The negative thoughts are normal...what makes these runs mean so much are the people that persevere and push past the negative. I have to say that most of the accomplishments and gains you will get from all of this will come during the training!

    ReplyDelete